May 1, 2011

Discovery Time!

Having recently attended an inspiring PD session at school about Discovery Time I am both inspired professionally to give it a whirl and also inspired to share that knowledge too.
I had thought that Discovery Time was basically for Juniors but having been to the session I realise it can be for almost any age group! It is basically planned and organised play-time for children to experience and learn for themselves once a week with no teacher restraints or controls.
The one block session once a week involves a variety of activities that give children the space to be creative, explore through discovery and play, problem solve, work on a key competency focus while playing, covers all aspects of different learning styles and are motivated. Check out all the benefits here - Discovery Time
Although our facilitators suggested a Friday morning...I have been too inspired this weekend and want to give it my first whirl on Monday morning - the beginning of a new term and start with either a BANG or a FLOP...which ever, it will be an interesting experience! I have challenged myself to come up with some activities around the Royal Wedding which happened on Friday April 29th.
I am pretty sure my 8 year olds will PMI the usefulness or not of Discovery Time so we can be more planned and inspired for the next session.
Will keep you posted so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment